Tuesday, April 01, 2008

{4.1.08}



Our sweet Gus was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday! Did you know that dogs can get diabetes? I did but I never thought it would be my dog. I kind of suspected it though so the news isn't shocking to me....a little devestating though. He has been sucking water for quite some time....as in put the water in the bowl and he sucks it dry in less than 30 seconds! Well last week, he started losing control of his urination. He would make it to the door and no further. I thought ok, I know, I need to get him to the vet. But I was too busy taking care of myself and Kensington that I didn't take him. Well this weekend I noticed that he was peeing in his cage....which is completely out of the ordinary! So today I took him in. His sugar levels were tripled what they were supposed to be.

So I get to put on another hat in my day....doggie nurse. Gus gets 2 shots of insulin a day...once in the am and once in the pm. Hopefully he will respond to the insulin well and we will have our Gus back to normal.

Oh and for you out there that used to know me...I was the needle phobia QUEEN! Well after having gestational diabetes and now a dog that has diabetes, I am the SHOT GIVEN QUEEN. I may just switch my major to nursing!! HAHA DAD, April Fools!

6 comments:

Its Me(SARA) Behind the Camera said...

aww poor gus! I hope he gets baack to normal fasT!!!!

Rachel said...

I hope he responds to the insulin!

Anonymous said...

Poor Gus. :(

Anonymous said...

April Fools! That was hilarious!!! On the other end though, so sorry about Gus. Diabetes for a dog, just not something you think about, at least, I wouldn't have. I hope everyone(including Gus) starts feeling better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor gus! I had no idea that dogs could get diabetes! I guess you learn something new everyday!:)

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I am so sorry about your fur baby! I hope he feels better soon!