Saturday, July 19, 2008

what.a.day.....long story!

Today was finally a day that Kensington and I were able to be home most of the day (good thing because I wasn't feeling very well)....we were sitting in the recliner in our jammies watching "The Wonder Pets" for the 137th time. She asked me if she could have some Whoppers, so I put a few in a cup and we continued relaxing in the chair. We were talking and all of a sudden she was gasping for air....her face turned red and then purple....the Whopper was stuck in her throat. I tried getting her over my leg to try to dislodge it....NOTHING. I tried getting her vertical and hit her on the back several times...NOTHING. I grabbed the phone, grabbed her and ran into our bedroom calling 911 on the way. I still couldn't get it to move at all. I stuck my finger in her mouth to see if I could feel it and I couldn't. I gave the 911 dispatcher all the information....she transferred me to EMSA....I gave him all the information and finally she puked and it came out. She was crying...I started crying...I just couldn't believe she was choking and there was NOTHING I could do about it to get her air.

Two firetrucks.....an ambulance....and a police car = six firefighters....two paramedics....and a policeman all in our house! Luckily she was fine and talking when they all arrived, but she seemed to be a little disoriented. The paramedics brought in all of their high-tech equipment. They put a finger probe on her finger to check her oxygen levels....it was between 91-93 at first but within about 10 minutes it was back up to 96. They checked her blood pressure a few times and she seemed to be ok.

What an emotional experience this was...one that I NEVER want to go through again. I felt so incredibly hopeless. I am the one that is supposed to protect her and here I was unable to do a thing. Looking back at the grand scheme of time, I would say it was lodged there for a good minute to 90 seconds before it finally came up. The scariest 60-90 seconds of my life.

We spent the rest of the day cuddling in the recliner. Our dear friend Rachel came over and brought us a Starbucks....THANK YOU SO MUCH RACH! You will never know how comforting it was to have you stop by. My good friend Holly came by a bit later and brought us some yummy salsa and blackberries....and to do her own evaluation of Kensington as she is about to graduate from her EMT training....THANK YOU for coming by Holly!!! Feel free to stop by anytime with that delicious salsa of yours.

All of this to say that Whoppers are not welcome in this house EVER. She'll tell you that she doesn't like them anymore they make her choke!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH KIM!!!

I think my heart stopped beating while reading that! So thankful she's okay...and so is mommy.

Don't beat yourself up too much...you did everything you possibly could!
((hugs))

Rachel said...

I'm so glad she is ok!! I hope the Starbucks made her feel better!! And you know anytime you need me, just call and I will be there ASAP!! Love you guys

Holly said...

What a scary experience! Hopefully the salsa and blackberries brightened your day a bit. EMT graduation is Friday! *eek!* Hard to believe I'll be qualified to take calls from 911 now. WOW! Love ya!

Nichole Duenke said...

oh, bless her heart! and yours! SO glad she's ok...that would be so scary! sounds like you have wonderful friends, kim! and yeah...no more whoppers!

Jessica said...

Kim!

First, Oh my gosh I would have freaked out! Maybe we don't need whoppers in my house anymore either! Thank you for the kind comments you left on my blog. ANy advice for horrible morning sickness?

Anonymous said...

SO glad she is ok!! Yes, we have been through that too..Chaz got choked on a sample size perfume bottle top one time when he was younger and I had just stepped out of the shower and yelled at him "what do you have in your mouth" and he took off running from me and in the meantime, sucked it back into his throat..I beat that boy on his back and was about to do the heimlich thing (his lips were turning blue by the way) and I was that close to picking up the phone and calling EMS when he threw it up...I was the same way, just fell over in tears...both of us..scariest few minutes of my life, like you! uggh!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that everything is Okay!!! I would call you right now, but I figure 10:30pm is a little late. Reading this reminded me of what happened to us earlier this year when Jayden had her seizure & quit breathing. I will be so glad when she turns 5 because the dr.'s say that at that time the chances of her having another seizure declines a lot. These situations confirm to me that there are angels looking after us. It also gave me a better appreciation for everyday that I have with Jayden & I don't ever want to take anything for granted. Our lives can change in 1 moment. Give Kensi big hugs & kisses from us. We Love You Guys!!!

Mrs. Sikes said...

Sooooo glad everyone is ok!!! :) Love you! No whoppers for us....thanks for the weight loss tip! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! How incredibly scary. I am so glad that she is okay! My husband and I talk about taking an ifant and child cpr course and never have! Now we are definately going to do it. Once when Allies was about 2 and half and Maddie was just a little over one. They were playing in there room and I was putting away laundry and then I heard screaming. I ran in ther not knowing wnat happen and saw blood runningout of Maddies mouth but it looked like it was coming from her ear canal. I freaked out called 911. They got there and we realized that it was coming from her gums and she was fine. I felt sick to my stomach for the rest of the day. Even when you find out they are okay it is still so scary!

Anonymous said...

Arggg... I am so sorry that you had to go through that! I can't even imagine how scared you must have been. I am so thankful that your precious little girl is okay! Love you guys!

Jessi said...

Glad she's ok, I bet you couldn't tell who was freaking out more! ((hugs)) mama!

mommy2alex said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS. I think I held my breath the entire time I was reading - I cannot imagine how you felt. WHEW, so glad things turned out fine. HUGS girlie!

Anonymous said...

Kim! I bet you were terrified, thank goodness you didn't panick! I think I would have been screaming and freaking out! I am so glad she is ok. P.S. I have been reading your blog for a while, I found you through Erin's site & yes, we definitely need to get together and crop ASAP!!

Krysta